Saturday, October 29, 2005

Close Encounters Of The Wilma Kind


All of my relatives are safe after their encounter with hurricane Wilma. My sister-in-law in Key West had some of the boats in the fleet that she manages damaged, and some that did okay. My cousin and her husband who also live in Key West evacuated to stay with my mother in Dunnellon.They evidently had several feet of water from the surge go through their home and have not gone back yet to assess the damage. My brother-in-law and his wife that live in Ft. Lauderdale had some damage to their house and are still without electricity. They have access to a generator next door, so that is helpful. The other relatives in Ft. Lauderdale are without electricity but doing fine... the last I heard. It will be a mess down in South Florida for awhile yet.

As in the other hurricanes that hit this summer, the day after the storm there are some people complaining about the fact that the lines are long and they have no food or water. I have no patience with people who do nothing to prepare and then blame everyone else all the way up to the President of the U.S. for their situation. I have ranted about that before... no need to do it again here!

The weather is still wonderful here today. I understand that it will warm up a bit later this week, but right now it is great! The A/C is off and the windows are open. WOW! I love hot chocolate weather! I'm off for a couple of hours of work today and then to the mall with a friend for a bit of shopping. She is looking for warm slacks for a trip to the north and I am looking for stocking stuffers and a few gift items. It is a fine day to be out and about! I refuse to accept any more hurricanes this season!


5 comments:

L said...

the weather's been wonderful this week!

Rachel said...

Glad everyone is okay! Enjoy the shopping.

Cliff said...

I'm glad all of your family survived. You are correct on the preparations. I suppose there should be an investigation on why this hurricane hit the wealthy in Naples and yet the government didn't 'dynamite' any levies to purposely kill them because they had money. Okay, I'll stop. I'm just glad that Florida and Texas are well run states.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

Glad everyone is safe. It's been hot chocolate weather here for months..

Alisa said...

I'm glad that everyone you know made it through ok. And I agree with you... You can't really prepare for a tornado or an earthquake but you can prepare for a hurricane.