Thursday, August 03, 2006

Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season



I regret to inform you that I am one of those people who get a bit stressed out during hurricane season. The past few seasons have not helped at all. Also, this is not a new affliction... it goes way back to my childhood growing up in St. Petersburg, FL... not that we ever had a close call with a hurricane. It was just the mandatory tracking of each and every storm each season. Oh, and we had a super weather man who always made things interesting.

As an adult I spent many hours attending workshops and lectures at the Florida Hurricane Conference that typically was held in Tampa. In recent years it has actually been a larger conference than the National Hurricane Conference. It was always interesting to hear talks by emergency managers from around the country who have experienced hurricanes first-hand.

I was at the conference the year after Hugo hit the Carolinas. I was at the conference the year after a previous tropical storm Alberto caused havoc in southern Georgia and the Florida panhandle. I was at the conference the year after Andrew hit south Florida. I was at the conference the year of the March No-Name storm that killed over 60 people in Florida, created snow on I-10 in North Florida, and then raced north to cause the NE US blizzards and generally made a mess. I heard Dr. Gray talk about trends, oceanic conveyor belts and seasonal predictions. I listened to Dr. Fujita (yes, the same guy that created the scale used for tornados) talk about microbursts and tornados associated with hurricanes. I listened to speeches by various Florida governors who would occasionally make an appearance. I listened to James Watt from the Clinton administration talk about federal disaster planning (he really has gorgeous blue eyes!). I have been an emergency management and disaster mitigation junkie, and I have learned a lot... enough that I know to have a healthy respect for the storms.

So, each year as the season heats up, I tend to get a bit on edge...



May seasonal disasters pass you by!


7 comments:

Jim said...

Another good reason to move to Montgomery, Texas, just showed up here.
That's why we moved. We had thirty-three inches of water in our home once and have sat through many tropical storms and hurricanes down there in Galveston County.
Now we are on top of a high hill.
..

Ralph's Homespun Headlines said...

Rhodent
The picture and the statement about blue eyes made me laugh. We don't have to deal with hurricanes but we have other issues, and I know they often times put me on edge. Sounds like you are doing all you can to deal with them.
Ralph

Alisa said...

Forewarned is forearmed! If more people mixed 1 part healthy respect with 1 part healthy fear for this season, we'd lose a lot less lives when one strikes our shores.

I liked the hurricane tracking you did in your blog last season!

L said...

that image is freaking me right out

Rachel said...

Whoa, what a scary picture! I wouldn't want to live in Hurricane prone areas. It's bad enough worrying about tornados and such.

Frustrated Writer said...

yup, i think i would consider moving...

Cliff Morrow said...

Stay safe girl. I remember your eloquent dissertation on hurricane preparednes of a year ago. One of the best blogs I've read.