Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I'm Bracing For Another Busy Season!


Let's hope this year is not quite so entertaining! I was entertained enough last summer to last me for a very long time! But it does seem that the tropics are already becoming active.



Being without electricity for a week at a time several times during the summer does not sound that bad on the surface of things. However when it takes place during the hottest months of the year in Florida and means no airconditioning, food spoiling in refrigerators and freezers, stop lights and street lights out all over town, and grocery stores closed with spoiling foods due to a lack of electricity it is quite a different thing... and I live in an area that only had some tropical storm force winds. It is not just hot, either... it is very humid... like a steam bath. Buildings are boarded up and quickly get to over 100 degrees F. Last summer we never took our boards down until the end of the season. People that took them down after the first storm just had to put them all back up a week later.



I have lived in Florida since 1957 in the same area (Pinellas County), and I have never experienced a direct hit from a major hurricane. We have had close calls... we really thought we were going to get hit by Charley last summer before it took that unexpected and sudden right turn. Had we been directly hit by Charley from the SW, water would have been pushed into Tampa Bay and there probably would have been over 20 feet of water in downtown Tampa... a category 5 is predicted to bring over 26 feet of water.



So, I have a few pictures to share with you about hurricane seasons in Florida... and another reminder... The last time my area of Florida was hit by a major hurricane (category 3, 4, 0r 5) was 1921... and believe me the area has changed since then.


This is a hurricane tracking chart at the beginning of the season...


This is a hurrican tracking chart towards the end of the season.


Just a sitting duck.


Frances last summer




It's much more than strom surge and winds...


Flooding from rain and overflowing rivers, various reptiles moving
to higher ground, weeks of no electricity and mosquitos...


Hurricane Ivan wiped out many endangered beach mice like this one! Hurricanes harm all types of wildlife. Nesting areas for tropical birds, cattle and horses, all sorts of furry critters, pets of all sorts, tropical fish farms, citrus trees, vegetable farms, avacado trees, all sorts of natural vegetation, and many more things are affected by hurricanes and their winds and surges.

8 comments:

Rainypete said...

Well what did you expect? Your state is dangling out there in the middle of the ocean just taunting mother nature. What did you think she'd do?

*~*Michelle*~* said...

I hear ya! Just this morning we got the first update about Adrian from our county. Seems panic is already setting in, albeit prematurely. People I work with our still not back in their homes. Last year was tough, let's hope there's not a repeat!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's very interesting! Not so good for you, though. Maybe I wouldn't want to move back there after all!
blue2go

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I printed out my Hurricane Prepared list just a few days ago. I'm not moving...I was born and raised here...it's HOME! :)

Anonymous said...

My grandparents lived in Florida from 1966 up until 2002 when they passed away. And they never once were hit -- though they were prepared.

Then last year, the area where they lived got hit. At least it waited until they were gone...

Gel said...

Take care- I've lived through direct hurricane hits much farther north than florida. Also, through several tornado hits, and severe tropical storms where the areas we lived in were declared disaster areas. All in all, compared to others, we fared ok. For ex. The 100+ yr old tree only skimmed our house instead of falling through the roof b/c 2 other trees broke its fall, etc.

I like to visit FL when it's not humid season. Stay safe.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

That was very interesting. I'm not so sure I would care about the mice getting wiped out part but the rest of it really blows..

Rurality said...

I can't believe it's that time of the year again already. Now, this year please keep them all down there and don't send them up towards Alabama, OK? ok.